Generatepress: An Ultra Light And Customizable WordPress Thème
It is not always easy to choose a WordPress theme for your website. Indeed, there is no lack of choice! However, if you are looking for a simple, professional and easy to customize theme, then GeneratePress should suit you. Discover all the advantages, the features and my opinion about this must-have WordPress theme.
GeneratePress In Brief
Since its beginnings, GeneratePress aims to make the creation of websites easier for all users. Indeed, the theme adapts to all types of projects, whether professional or amateur. It offers many customization parameters while remaining simple and very intuitive to use.
Created more than 6 years ago, this WordPress theme is undoubtedly one of the most stable and best supported. It seduces many users all over the world. Today, GeneratePress has been downloaded more than 3 million times, it is used by more than 300 000 active sites and has obtained more than 70 000 positive reviews.
The Performances Proposed By GeneratePress
The weight of a page plays a crucial role in the speed of your site. The smaller the size of the page and the more limited the number of scripts, the better the loading time of your site will be. GeneratePress proposes a super light theme (less than 10 kb) so that sites powered with GP are hyper fast and efficient.
A High Level Speed
Speed is another criterion to consider. It plays an important role on your Web site. To bring full satisfaction to its members, GeneratePress ensures a low data overhead, so your site is able to load as fast as possible.
An Optimization For Search Engines
In addition to the ultra fast loading time, GeneratePress is perfectly coded to be interpreted by search engines like Google. It also uses Schema.org structured data. The theme is thus able to offer a head start compared to the vast majority of WordPress themes.
Reliable And Secure
GeneratePress uses the latest and most stable coding standards. These have been reviewed by the leaders of the WordPress community. Also, the latest JS scripts are constantly updated. So you don’t have to worry about the security and reliability of your site.
Accessible To People With Disabilities
GeneratePress integrates the WCAG 2.0 module that allows your Web site to be more accessible to disabled people. Let’s remember that the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) involve a wide range of protocols in order to adapt to several disabilities, such as visual, hearing, physical, speech, cognitive, language, learning and neurological disabilities.
In addition to the performance-oriented features, GeneratePress offers different options that will help you to take full control of your website.
Colors And Typography Customization
Whether it’s the free or the paid version, GeneratePress allows you to easily change the colors and the typography of your theme. On the other hand, if you want to be able to customize almost all the visible elements, you’ll have to subscribe to the Premium version.
Whether it’s the desktop or mobile version, GeneratePress offers you the possibility to choose the layout of your website. You can select the filling of your interface, but also the size of the margins, the sidebar, etc. You can customize your site as you like, it’s really great!
Intuitive Page Builder
GeneratePress integrates an intuitive and easy to use page builder. You will be able, thanks to it, to create your site rather quickly. You will be able to customize your site as you like with the help of the numerous options you will find on the left side of your screen. Everything is well indicated and, in addition, you have a direct view of your site with the elements you are modifying.
Excellent Compatibility With Other Plugins
Let’s remember that WordPress is the best content management system in the world thanks to the numerous plugins available. Of course, if you choose the GeneratePress theme, you can also use the plugins of your choice in parallel. To do so, just go to the Extensions tab and use the search bar to find the plugin of your choice.
Hooks And Filters
If you want to modify WordPress actions and filters, GeneratePress offers you the possibility. You can indeed access to the settings and add your own hooks.
A Theme Available In 20 Languages
Although the original version was created in English, GeneratePress is now available in several languages, 20 in total. There is even a French version which will help you to configure your site easily. Moreover, GeneratePress also supports right-to-left languages (RTL), like Arabic and Hebrew in this case.
What’s The Difference Between The Free Version And The Premium Version?
The GeneratePress theme offers two versions. The first one is completely free, it gives you access to the basic features, but not all of them. On the contrary, the second version, called the Premium version, costs $59 per year. This last one offers an access to all GeneratePress features.
To help you to make your choice, we will present you what differentiates these two versions.
The free version of GeneratePress uses the classic WordPress features by default, which gives you a decent amount of customization options. The paid version offers a total of 13 additional modules that will allow you to configure your site more quickly and especially in a more personalized way:
- The Background: with the paid version, you can customize the background of your site and even change it according to the pages.
- The Blog part: the Premium version offers you the possibility to select the image you want to put in front of each article, it also allows you to customize the columns, the margins, the headers and the footers so that your blog is more intuitive to use.
- Colors: GeneratePress Premium allows you to take control of your site with 60 different color combinations.
- Copyrights : At the bottom of a site, we usually find the Copyrights. With the Premium version, you will be able to add, modify or remove these rights as you wish.
- Deactivate certain elements: If you don’t like certain elements, you can deactivate them with one click. You can also reactivate them later if you want them to appear on your site.
- Hooks: You will be able to fully customize the theme to your liking. The layout also offers more possibilities, especially in terms of publications, presentation, etc.
- The Plus menu: the Premium version of GeneratePress offers you the possibility to customize the menu of your site. Indeed, you can add a sticky-navigation, an off-canvas navigation, a mobile header, etc.
- Secondary navigation: GeneratePress Premium will allow you to create a secondary navigation menu.
- Sections : to separate your headings, GeneratePress offers you the possibility to create articles and pages in different sections. This will allow your visitors to navigate more easily on your site.
- Ready-made templates : GeneratePress Premium provides 45 templates (more are to come), you can import and use the one you want in one click. I personally have some favorites that I use regularly 🙂 By using these templates, you will save a lot of time on design and customization.
- Spacing : still with the paid version, you will be able to choose the size, the filling and the margin of the widgets, but also of the elements of the menu, the content area, the header, the navigation menu, the footer, etc.
- The typography : GeneratePress Premium offers you up to 70 different fonts. It’s up to you to choose the one you like and that best fits your project!
- WooCommerce : if you want to set up an e-commerce website, GeneratePress theme is fully compatible with this essential e-commerce plugin. The paid version even allows you to access additional options, like text customization and layout among others.
So, of course, the premium version comes at a cost, but to be honest, it gives you access to a lot of handy features, a nice library of templates, ready to be imported in one click. And for this price, it’s simply hyper profitable !
The GeneratePress Customer Service
Whether you’re a novice or an expert, you may need help at some point. That’s why every Premium WordPress theme offers a customer service. However, the quality of the service depends on the theme publisher. One thing is sure: by opting for GeneratePress Premium, you can contact someone from the team very easily and quickly if you need help.
The GeneratePress customer service is available as a ticket. You just have to go on the contact form to select the category of your question (questions before buying, questions related to a problem in the account or technical support). Then enter your name, email and question. Someone will respond to you via email as soon as possible. In our experience, this usually takes less than 24 hours.
However, if you want to get an answer quickly, we recommend you to use the support available on GeneratePress website. From this help page, you’ll be able to access to all the questions that have been previously asked by other users. Don’t hesitate to use the search bar to find an answer more easily.
Although GeneratePress is a 100% free theme, there is also a premium version, which comes as a plugin. As mentioned above, this one allows you to have access to more customization features, as well as a template library.
The Premium version of GeneratePress costs only $59 per year, which makes it a very affordable theme, considering its robustness, its performance and its numerous features. By opting for this paid version, you will enjoy:
- All the Premium modules and features
- Full access to the template library
- One year of updates
- One year of unlimited Premium support access
- The ability to use the theme on 500 sites
- 30-day money back guarantee
Another Lifetime plan gives you lifetime access to premium features for $249. You will also be able to install it on 500 sites for an unlimited lifetime (future updates and premium support).
The advantages of GeneratePress
- Very affordable price : in addition to a 100% free version, GeneratePress offers a paid version for only $59 per year (up to 500 sites).
- No hidden fees : if you opt for the Premium version, you’ll pay only $59. This version gives you access to absolutely all features and the theme can be used on 500 sites in total. There are no additional add-ons or hidden fees.
- A library with great templates: GeneratePress offers more than 45 templates ready to be imported in one click to its premium users.
- Ideal for developers: GeneratePress offers tons of hooks, which makes it a particularly suitable theme for developers who want to customize it.
- Top-notch support: whether it’s the ticket support, the documentation area, the Q&A, the videos, or the support forums, you’re bound to find help when you need it. It’s even more convenient if you’re a beginner.
- WooCommerce integration : GeneratePress offers an integrated WooCommerce module so that you can couple your favorite theme with the best e-commerce website engine under WordPress. Performance and conversions guaranteed!
- Adapted to all page builders : Using a page builder is the easiest and fastest way to design a nice WordPress website, without having to write a single line of code. GeneratePress is 100% compatible with all WordPress page builders on the market : Elementor, Beaver Builder, Thrive Architect, Oxygen… On the other hand, GeneratePress has developed its own solution : GenerateBlocks, which is rather an extension to Gutenberg, the native page builder of WordPress.
- Plugin compatibility : GeneratePress is perfectly compatible with all popular WordPress plugins, such as Yoast, WooCommerce, WP Rocket, Contact Form 7, WordFence…
- A money back guarantee: GeneratePress offers a 30 days money back guarantee. However, if you are not satisfied with the theme for any reason, you can ask for a refund.
The free version is a bit limited: the only real drawback we found to GeneratePress is in the free version. The customization features are somewhat limited, which is quite logical.
How to install GeneratePress ?
Installing the free version of GeneratePress is extremely simple and can be done in just a few minutes.
- Log into your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Appearance, then on Themes. From there, you’ll see your current theme.
- Head over to the Add New Theme button. You will see a list with several themes. Now, all you have to do is to use the search bar to find the GeneratePress theme.
- Click on Install and then on Activate.
HOW TO UPGRADE TO THE PREMIUM VERSION ?
First of all you have to know that the Premium version is available as a plugin. Before accessing it, you have to order it on GeneratePress.com.
To upgrade to the paid version, you’ll have to install first the free GeneratePress theme, then download the plugin this way:
- Click here to visit the official website of GeneratePress.
- Go to the paid offer of your choice (Annual or Lifetime). Click on the Add to cart button and then go to the payment.
- To make the payment, you have to add some personal information. You can pay via PayPal or using a credit card. Enter the payment details, the billing address and click on the purchase button.
- Once the transfer is done, you will be able to download the ZIP file containing the plugin.
- Open your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Plugins and then on Add New. A new page will open, select Put an extension online.
- Browse and select the file gp-premium.zip, then click on Download.
- To activate the GeneratePress Premium module, go to Appearance, then GeneratePress.
- Then activate the modules you want to use on your site. Note: to activate the WooCommerce module, you have to install and activate the WooCommerce plugin separately.
WHAT IS GENERATEPRESS ?
GeneratePress is a customizable WordPress theme and very intuitive to use. It is also fast, secure, responsive and reliable. Whether you manage a simple blog, a niche site or an e-commerce site, it’s a theme you’re bound to love and that will adapt to your needs.
IS GENERATEPRESS THAT FAST?
GeneratePress is one of the fastest WordPress themes on the market. For such a complete and flexible theme, it is certainly the fastest WordPress theme in its category.
The GeneratePress team is committed to offering the best performing theme possible for eye-popping loading times.
IS GENERATEPRESS FREE ?
The GeneratePress theme is entirely free. There is a Premium version which, for only 59$, will allow you to access to all the features of the theme, as well as its famous templates library.
ON HOW MANY WEBSITES CAN I INSTALL GENERATEPRESS ?
The free version of GeneratePress can be used on an unlimited number of sites. As for the Premium version, it can support up to 500 sites in total.
WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE ?
GeneratePress offers a 30 days guarantee as soon as you buy the Premium version. So you can ask for a refund if the theme doesn’t suit you.
HOW TO REMOVE GENERATEPRESS COPYRIGHTS ?
To remove GeneratePress copyrights present in the footer, you will have to subscribe to the Premium offer.
My Opinion : The Verdict
GeneratePress is a very good theme. It is simple and intuitive to use. It offers many configuration features.
Although the Premium version is more advantageous, the free version also offers a large choice of options to customize your site as you like.
GeneratePress is also appreciated for its speed and reliability. If you are looking for a powerful and efficient WordPress theme, we highly recommend it! It offers an excellent quality / price ratio.